My Eportfolio Experience

Prior to this assignment I had never worked with or even heard of ePortfolio, and I didn’t really see the benefits of using it considering I already had a LinkedIn account. In addition I thought the layout was awful, as it reminded me of websites from the 90s. At first I found it tricky to use, mostly because I wasn’t used to the functions and I felt like they were a bit restrictive. However, after playing around with it for a while I started to get the hang of it more.

Another question I had when I started up was what to publish on the site. I noticed that a lot of other users had published their work and written a lot of text on their pages. I found a lot of these profiles to be too wordy and messy, and I knew I didn’t want that for my ePortfolio. I suppose I could have written more and uploaded even more documents, but who really takes their time to read through pages and pages of text? Studies have even shown that an average employer spends seconds looking through your application and the public uses seconds to scroll through their newsfeeds. As media students I think this is important to keep in mind. People prefer their online material to be easy to access and easy to read, with a few exceptions of course. Websites and online content should also be visually appealing.

Although I was skeptical to ePortfolio at first and disappointed with the layout, my ePortfolio experience in total wasn’t too bad. I do wish I had more freedom to set up my page, but in a way it is also positive that ePortfolio has a set layout so that people can't go to overboard with their creativity, after all it is suppose to be a professional website. Like I mentioned above I suppose I could have uploaded more documents and text, but at the same time most of my prior work is in Norwegian and would be hard for people to understand. All in all, I am pleased with the end result and I can see the benefits of uploading all your work online and having a portfolio easily accessible. However, for the future I think I would prefer to create my own website.