Welcome to the course!
This course is an English 110 specifically for students whose second language is English. In this course we will focus on improving writing skills, reading, critical thought, and how to do brief research using secondary sources. The course goals are as follows:
- To build stronger reading skills to help our writing;
- To understand different writing genres, such as compare/contrast essays, persuasive essays, narrative essays; opinions essays, reader response, and research paper writing;
- To do basic research/library skills and understand of MLA guidelines;
- To apply critical analysis to our reading materials;
- To polish punctuation;
- To practice presentation skills;
- To strengthen your language so paraphrasing becomes more natural;
- To create essays that have strong organization to clarify meaning; and
- To understand transitions and organization.