Camilla Klaevold's portfolios

6 portfolios

Storify

Course Listing

Fall 2017:
MCA 645Media Innovation
MCA 652Digital Video Field Prod
MCA 693Internship
MCA 696DEditing Aesthetics

Spring 2017:
MCA 603Effective Spkng for Indus Prof
MCA 610Communications Research
MCA 655Producing the Documentary

Fall 2016:
MCA 601Industry Theory and Practice
MCA 602Writing for Organizations
MCA 640International Communication

Writing Enhanced Courses

JM4012 Journalistic Writing 2:

This course teaches different journalistic forms of writing such as short features, profiles, vox pops, reviews and press releases. Students were also encouraged to reflect on and analyze each other’s and professional work through a course web forum. The course also contained weekly writing workshops with breaking news exercises and wrap stories. For my final project I conducted a profile interview with Sarah Lavin, a hurdler for Ireland.

JM2028 Current Issues in Irish Media:

The course was a seminar module. Practicing media professionals visited the university weekly to talk to the class about their working environment and key issues affecting the media industry. In addition to weekly writing assignments, I conducted a research project regarding the troubles freelance journalists face in Syria.

EH4016 State of the Union: American Literature since 1890

The course covered American literature from the 1890s to the present day. Through a selection of texts reflecting the diverse voices of the literature, students explored the physical, cultural, and sociopolitical geographies of America. Reading accounts of the city and town, the urban and suburban, the road, the land, the reservation, or the South, students engage with questions of self and society, class and race, national identity, marginalization, counter cultureless, and globalization, as expressed within differing literary movements. Weekly writing assignments and larger projects were conducted to improve students writing skills.

JM4022 Introduction to Social Media

This course taught me to think critically about social media. Some of the elements included concepts drawn from theoretical communications, social and media studies, as well as practical approaches including hierarchical news writing and information construction. During this course I started up a blog and conducted a research project on how people used Twitter during the same-sex referendum in Ireland.

Media & The Audience

MEVI102 Media & the Audience

This course explores the relationship between the media and the audience. It introduces key theories on how people use the media and what they gain from the usage. The course emphasizes on media's role in today's society and its development. 

MEVI104 Media, Representation & Identity

The course creates an understanding on how the media affects our personalities and everyday life. It explores the relationship between the media and fundamental political, sociological and cultural processes in the society. Central elements include popular culture and media's role in creating an identity. 

MEVI222 Media and Opinion Making 

This course explores media's affect on the population, especially in the matter of how we use digital technology. It gives a critical perspective on media usage in regards of sex, classes, ethnicity and digital segregations. During the course we conducted a pilot study, researching how students use social media as a tool for news. 

Capstone Course

MEVI223: Visual Media

The course focused on the aesthetics of visual media, and taught us the ability to employ theories and analytical perspectives on media texts. It also emphasized the importance of tying the aesthetics to institutional, technological and productional frameworks and put the texts in a cultural and historical context.   

For my final year dissertation I analyzed Making a Murderer in regards of my thesis "How can the series function as a defense for Steven Avery?"