Joanne DeMarco's portfolios

4 portfolios

Undergraduate Courses in my Major and Minor

Major: Speech Communication

Minor: Mass Media

Summer 1988

SPCH 100-Speech Communication

Fall 1988

SPCH 160-Survey of Speech-Modern Society

THTR 111-Acting I

Spring 1989

SPCH 220-Public Speaking

SPCH 240-Theories-Interpersonal Communication

SPCH 251-Understanding Mass Communciation

THTR 280-Basic Film Production

Fall 1989

SPCH 245-Communication Development in Children

SPCH 252-Writing for Radio, TV & Film

THTR 260-TV Production I

THTR 281-The Art of Motion Picture

Spring 1990

SPCH 225-Argumentation

SPCH 253-Audio Production

SPCH 350-Seminar in Mass Communuication

THTR 211-Acting II

Fall 1990

SPCH 206-Freedom of Speech

SPCH 241-Male-Female Communication

SPCH 246-Dynamics of Group Communication

Spring 1991

SPCH 397-Speech Internship: TV Productions

Application essay for Master's Program

The above PowerPoint presentation was a group presentation on culture in the workplace done in Fall 2011 for MCA 601.

Media Relations Final Project

Here is my final project for Media Relations class. It was for the Rockland Boulders and the campaign was titled "CATCH BOULDERS FEVER THIS SUMMER!"

Course Listing

Spring 2014:
MCA 693Internship

Fall 2013:
MCA 696MTPC:Blogging a Better Planet

Summer 2 2013:
MCA 639Creative Writing for Media Pro

Spring 2013:
MCA 620Media Relations

Fall 2012:
MCA 602Writing for Organizations
MCA 696RTopic: Digital Communication

Summer 1 2012:
MCA 610Communications Research

Spring 2012:
MCA 603Effective Spkng for Indus Prof
MCA 696GTopic: Media Issues

Fall 2011:
MCA 601Industry Theory and Practice

My Bachelor of Arts Degree in Speech Communication

A picture of the SUNY Onenta campus (click on the photo to visit the school site)

SUNY Oneonta Campus

My undergraduate internship experience at NBC

During the spring semester of 1991, I was fortunate enough to be chosen as an intern in the master control room of NBC at 30 Rockfeller Plaza in New York City. I turned down CBS news and MTV to accept this opportunity. I learned so much in that semester, more than I could ever learn in a classroom. The atmosphere was always exciting and I enjoyed every moment of my time there. I was sad to see it end, but thankful for the experience. Most of my time was spent watching all the feeds to look out for transmission errors or breaks. Watching 40 monitors simulanteousIy was mind boggling at first, but I got used it. I also had to go over the programming schedule with a fine tooth comb, looking for gaps between promos, commercials, shows, etc.  I did prevent us from going black a few times by spotting gaps in the programming, which was the ultimate goal of my job! I also remember the old noisy teletype machine spewing out the latest breaking news. I would retrieve the lastest news, which was usually a sentence or two at first report, eventually growing to a more fully developed story as more information was known. I can still remember retrieving the wire with a one sentence report-that Eric Clapton's four year old son fell to his death from a New York City building. 

Shortly after I started my internship, the Persian Gulf War broke out. Interrupting scheduled programming became the new norm, as were bomb theats. I never did take those bomb threats seriously, nobody in my department was leaving, so I stayed as well. It was a crazy time.

I did get to ride in an elevator twice with David Letterman. I often stopped by the Saturday Night Live studio and saw Lorne Michaels and Paul Schaffer. It wasn't uncommon to see Sue Simmons or Al Roker in the cafeteria and I would have long talks with Don Pardo, the announcer for SNL.

Not only did I get to have a unique experience in the master control room of a major television network, I got to learn so much about mass media (which was my minor), particularly television. Unfortunately, the job market wasn't good in 1991 and was similar to how it is now. I went on a couple of interviews for part time jobs as a page at NBC, but there were no positions in departments, like I had hoped. I still treasure the experience and realize it was the pinnacle of my undergraduate education.