Career Interests

I have known since I was four that I wanted to be a writer. I have always written fiction stories, opinion articles, and poems. I've also always been the chatterbox who shares information. But after holding an internship with Family Circle Magazine in the Spring of 2010, I knew that the journalism industry was where I wanted to be. I aspire to be a health, fitness or food journalist. I am hoping to one day enter the field of communications in marketing, public relations, or magazine writing. 

5 Random Facts

* I bake cupcakes for every occasion possible, and love doing so

*I would like to get my motorcycle license

*I love driving manual cars

*My dog is named after an Italian liqueur

*I have letters of recognition from Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush Jr., as well as many other political figures

Ashley Neff's portfolios

4 portfolios

Introduction

I am currently earning my master's degree in Media and Communication Arts at Pace University. This program is preparing me for a better understanding of the world of media and journalism. These classes are helping me better understand how to communicate effectively, to write effectively, and how I would handle a business situation overseas. I have learned so much about other countries, their etiquette, and how they respond to the United States. I have gained deeper knowledge about how media is constantly changing, and how the future is somewhat unknown. I am excited to see what the future holds for the media industry.

I earned my Bachelor's Degree in media with a concentration in journalism from Mercy College. The program at Mercy helped ease the transition into my graduate classes by giving me a greater understanding of creative and efficient writing. I feel confident that my background and previous experiences in writing will only improve from here.

Reflection

Creating this ePortfolio was definitely rewarding. I know that I have worked very hard to follow the career path that I have always desired, but to have all of my work exposed in one area, in the format that I designed, is very satisfying.  I have always enjoyed playing around with page layouts and formatting, so creating this compilation of my work was exciting for me. 

I think this will be very beneficial for me when seeking jobs or internships because it gives future employers a better understanding of who I am, what I have accomplished, and what I am capable of. I love that I was able to upload some of my writing samples, but also images of my published work. Reading that someone was published is one thing, but to see it is another. It was definitely challenging to start this project, but I am very pleased with the outcome. I will definitely forward my ePortfolio to people I network with to gain exposure. I really do hope to one day enter the journalism world, and I'm hoping this portfolio will help me get there.