Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Run

In September 2012, I volunteered at the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Run with the Pace Women's Basketball Team  in downtown Manhattan. The run is memory of Stephen Siller, a brave firefighter who lost his life  on September 11th 2001. The proceeds from the run benefit the family members of firefighters who have been injured or lost their lives in the line of duty. I worked at the finish line distributing fruit to the runners as they crossed  it. Seeing the thousands of happy faces cross the line knowing they were helping such a worthy cause was a very rewarding experience. 

Wheelchair Basketball

I played in a number of wheelchair basketball games with Iona College against The Spinal Nassau Kings. The Kings were a great team with some very skilled basketball players. The skill and co-ordination required to play wheelchair basketball is actually more difficult than regular basketball. Proceeds from our game went to help wheelchair charities. 

My studies in photography during my undergraduate degree have ignited a passion for the craft in me. Since completing the course, photography has become a very enjoyable hobby of mine. Whenever I travel to a new place or take as trip I am always trying to capture the spirit of the place through my photographs. These pictures are some of shots I took while I was home this summer in Ireland. They include an abstract shot of burning paper. A shot of a Celtic Cross at Mucross Abbey in Killarney, County Kerry. My dog relaxing on the beach in Garryvoe, County Cork. A close up of my eye. A silhouette of my little brother on a swing. A close up of the Fuschia Flower. An upside down view of the river in Cork City. And a horse running in the green fields.

Creative Commons license

Jessica Scannell's portfolios

5 portfolios