Introduction

Dia dhuit!

I’m Jessica Scannell - a graduate student at Pace University, where I  am completing my MA in Media and Communication Arts. Having played NCAA Basketball both with Pace University and Iona College, it’s safe to say that I am passionate about sports. It is my dream to find an employment opportunity that would allow me to combine my life’s passion with my academic experiences.

Statement of career aspirations and qualifications

I have been in love with the game of basketball since I was five years old. My father is a coach, he coached me from childhood. Ever since I can remember coaching is what I have always wanted to do. Aside from playing basketball, it is what I enjoy most in life, it is also what I do best. 

Over the past number of years I have gained a wealth of coaching experience both in the United States and in Europe. In the United States I coached at various clinics that focused on the fundamental skill development of young athletes. In Europe, I have coached at a number of basketball camps every summer since I was 17. The most notable camps I have coached at are Rip n Run basketball camp and Gormanstown National Basketball Camp. These camps are currently the two biggest basketball camps in Ireland. This summer at camp I had the privilege of coaching with and learning from some of the greatest coaches in the game including Bob Mc Killop, the current head coach at Davidson University.

In addition to my coaching experiences, I have also had an illustrious playing career.  Prior to moving to the United States, from Ireland in order to pursue a basketball career, I captained the U-18 Irish National Team at the European Championships  I also had the honor of representing my country at Senior Level in European championships. I played NCAA division 1 basketball at Iona College, New Rochelle, New York.  Due to injury, I red-shirted my senior year. While this was a difficult challenge to overcome, it was a blessing in disguise, because it gave me one more year to play college basketball.  I am currently finishing out my intercollegiate career playing for Pace University.

I am a point guard by position, but also by lifestyle. I am a natural leader both on and off the court. I completed my undergraduate degree in Speech Language Pathology. I am currently completing my MA in Media and Communications. Both of these degrees have given me excellent communication, interpersonal, and demonstration skills. My life experiences have helped me to be able to transfer these skills to pressurized environments.

I realize, and am excited about the fact that I have much to learn, both as a person and as a coach. However, I believe that the skills, life, and academic experiences I have all combine to give me the foundations I need to embark on this exciting career. I hope to bring an international, energetic, and youthful flare to any team or employer I may have the pleasure of working with in the future.

- Jessica Scannell

Rip'n'Run Guard School Coaching Video

During my time spent coaching at Rip'n'Run basketball camp, I starred in and edited this short basketball skills coaching video.

Creative Commons license

My Resumé

My Coaching Experience at Rip'n'Run Basketball Camp

Jessica Scannell's portfolios

5 portfolios